It is notoriously difficult to get into medical school, so I’m going to list a few resources that I found incredibly useful to prepare me for the interviews, applications and A levels. Further down the page you will find a link to my A level Biology notes that I’m selling, and a friend’s Physics, Maths, and Chemistry notes! Also, at the very bottom of this page are two documents containing lots of advice about applying to medical school:
Websites for preparation / courses:
- 6med – Crash courses in UKCAT , BMAT and interviews
- Medic Mentor
- BMAT ninja for BMAT
- Medify (UKCAT)
Books for admissions preparation:
- 600 BMAT questions
- ‘medical school interviews’ isc medical
- Resources from medic mentor and 6med
- Critical thinking books for BMAT
- BBC health / science for news
- Guardian health for news
- New Scientist magazine
- BBC focus magazines
- Student BMJ
- BBC podcasts eg ‘inside the ethics committee’
- Radio four podcasts
- Future learn – many relevant free online courses on here
- The Emperor of all Maladies
- The Big Bang and why you need to know about it
- New scientist books (eg ‘question everything’)
- Medic mentor magazine
- Junk DNA
- The compatibility gene
- The man who mistook his wife for a hat (and other Oliver Sacks books)
- Richard Dawkins books
- ‘A very short introduction’ books on pretty much any topic
For getting the grades at A level:
- Lots and lots of past paper questions!
- Revision app called Gojimo
- Chemistry: chemguide or chemrevise.org/revision-guides or https://chemrevise.org/ocr-revision-guides/ (for amazing notes)
- Maths and physics: physicsandmathstutor.com has great practice questions and past papers – do as much as you can!
- Biology: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/biology-revision has great practice questions for each topic and https://mrsmillersblog.wordpress.com/as-biology/ or https://mrsmillersblog.wordpress.com/a2-biology/ and for topic specific question packs- https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/a-level-biology-edexcel-new/topic-questions/
- Visit this website for even more useful resources: https://studyingwithcorrainebennett.wordpress.com/2017/02/03/revision-websites/
- And scroll down for hand written Science notes!
BIOLOGY A LEVEL HELP
I am selling PDF versions of my hand written A level biology notes that helped me achieve an A*
Just search on ebay: A* Biology A level student notes AQA OCR Edexcel & IB year 1 & 2!
PHYSICS, MATHS, AND CHEMISTRY NOTES!!
A friend has kindly given me access to his absolutely amazing hand-written A level notes for Maths, Physics and Chemistry, completing the set with my Biology notes above!! To access these, follow this link here to a google drive containing them. Check it out and you won’t regret it!:
PERSONAL STATEMENT HELP
The creators of https://www.makemeamedic.co.uk/ provide fantastic personal statement advice, and I know because I used it! They helped me dissect my personal statement so it was punchy, specific, relevant and included all the important skills you need for medicine. I would recommend giving it a try!
The above focused a lot on resources to help you make your application spot on. Here are a few websites that give a lot of great information and reflections about applying for medicine and life as a doctor:
Do you want my help with your application?
Whenever I give someone guidance about applying to medicine, I always send them these advice documents. They are my in depth guides about how to prepare for applying to medical school, including how I would approach planning your personal statement. Hopefully, by uploading these, I can help even more people achieve their goals. The documents consist of:
- An advice booklet:
- An introduction describing what medicine involves, what doctors do, the progression through medical school
- The different types of medical schools and courses
- How to make your application stand out
- Work experience: how to obtain it and reflect on it
- An extensive list of resource, books, blogs, podcasts, websites I used when applying
- And a personal statement advice document
Click below to download the documents: